BHAGAVAD-GITA AND KIRTAN PROGRAM
BHAGAVAD-GITA AND KIRTAN PROGRAM (by Atma and Subhie)
EVERY SATURDAY, 5:30-8:30 PM
Please join us this Saturday, August 17, 2019, for the weekly Bhagavad-gita and Kirtan program!
- His Holiness Devamrita Swami will be our special guest-speakers on Bhagavad-gita As It Is, starting with the verses 18.51-53.
- Volunteers will recite verse 12.9 from memory in Sanskrit and English.
- As usual, the program will include two sessions of chanting in kirtan and a free vegetarian dinner.
- Admission to the program is free of charge, though donations are welcome to cover the costs.
- For the best experience, please come for the program on time!
For additional information, feedback or service inquiries, please leave us a message.
- August 24, 2019 - no program due to the annual celebration of Srila Prabhupada's Appearance Day at 26 Second Avenue
- August 31, 2019 - His Holiness Bhakti Vasudeva Swami
- September 7, 2019 - His Grace Rama Raya Prabhu
- September 14, 2019 - His Holiness Bhakti Vijnana Goswami
- November 9, 2019 - His Holiness Prahladananda Swami
ABOUT THE GUEST-SPEAKER
His Holiness Devamrita Swami is an educator, author, and monk in the Krishna bhakti tradition. Soon after graduating from Yale University, he joined the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) and became an official student of Srila Prabhupada. In 1982 he officially accepted the renounced order of life, sannyasa, dedicating his life to practicing bhakti and sharing it with others all over the world.
One of Devamrita Swami’s areas of expertise is to facilitate contemporary settings for Western audiences to approach bhakti yoga. He enjoys challenging the students and professionals to penetrate the veil of religious belief/religious myth; and advocates spiritually based economics, sustainability and environmentalism.
Devamrita Swami is the author of several books, in which he analyzes modern problems through the wisdom of the Bhagavad-gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam (essential Vedic texts). In his latest book, Hiding in Unnatural Happiness, he shows how to access 100 percent happiness by channeling the human drive for fulfillment in a sustainable direction.
For more details, please visit Devamrita Swami's website.
ABOUT THIS PROGRAM
Saturday evenings Atmanivedana das (Atma) and Subhangada dasi (Subhie) teach how to hear and chant sanskrit names for God, especially known as Krishna, in kirtan (accompanied by melodious and rhythmic music). Additionally, the advanced devotees of Krishna teach a systematic study of the Bhagavad-gita As It Is.
Bhagavad-gita As It Is is studied according to an ancient chain of teachers, starting with Krishna, and most recently His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (Srila Prabhupada), the founder-acharya of ISKCON (the International Society for Krishna Consciousness). Classes are on fascinating topics including karma, reincarnation, the soul, the material energy, God, time, and the relationship between the soul, the material energy, and God.
Atma and Subhie's program at 26 Second Avenue started in January 2011 and is meant for all, regardless of one's familiarity with the subject matter.
ABOUT THE HOSTS
Atma and Subhie are initiated priests and have studied, followed, and taught Bhagavad-gita since 1990 and 1991, respectively. They lived in monastic settings for over 20 years combined. Atma is a securities fraud attorney, and Subhie, with a master's degree, is a schoolteacher. For more information, visit their webpage.